Preparing to sell an old house or a new house
If I wanted to sell my house quickly, it could be a challenging task no matter if my property is actually an older or a newer house so I would start making preparations well in advance.
And in order to make sure I sell my property fast, I for sure need to go through the below tasks. Please see my to-do list and some other handy advice for you to make sure you can do a fast sale home and can move on as quickly as possible.
- 1.) Start packing and declutter: you will soon more, so you can easily connect decluttering with actual packing. Only make sure you don’t trash anything that would have been necessary. Therefore write on all boxes what’s in them and your intentions with it. This way nothing gets accidentally thrown away, neither will you carry the trash in your new home. This is a long and tedious process, therefore make sure to start with it well in advance.
- 2.) For the sake of quick selling, the best way to go is not to live in the house you are to stage and sell any longer. This especially considers the moving out of kids and pets, as they are the ones who predefine your home and living area the most. And many people have allergies to animal hairs, in addition most viewers do not want to see toys everywhere (even if they have family) sad but true.
- 3.) If you want to get your home or house staged either rent a storage place and stay at a hotel or at a relative or if you have the chance to move, move your things to the new home as soon as possible, except for kitchen appliances and the furniture that can be left as statement furniture by the time of staging.
- 4.) Decide what stays and what needs to go out of the furniture. Some pieces of furniture and decorations will be deemed fit to stay while others need to go. Let the professional decide on this, before acting
- 5.) Leave some items but neatly arranged to give viewers the feeling that someone lives in the house. This is a better feeling than a house which "feels" empty.
Remember old houses may need more fixture to be done and some more meticulous cleaning, especially at spaces which are barely visited, like the attic or the cellar areas. For a fast sale home, enhance the age and the patina of the house as many look for old buildings specifically. If I owned an old house and wanted to sell my property fast, I would accentuate its present antique (Victorian, Edwardian or cottage) style.
If you are trying to sell a new property, you will have it easier in terms of paperwork. In case you need to sell your home due to a possible upcoming house repossession or to pay back a mortgage make sure you let the potential clients know about it. New properties are generally easier to clean, decorate and refurnish. Only make sure you have all nicely arranged with some décor items by the time of clients’ visit.